Break-ins can occur at any time to anyone in any neighbourhood. The highest percentage of break-ins happen in the summer, while people are away on vacation, or begin to leave their windows and doors open more often.
Most burglars rely on hiding, speed, and force to gain entry to a home. A home security system is an effective deterrent, and an approved burglar or fire alarm can save you money on your home insurance.
Unfortunately, a home security system isn’t a guarantee your home won’t be a target. Here are tips you can use to help protect your home from burglary:
- Lock your windows and doors at all times; even when you leave briefly, are outside on your property, or inside your home. Also, keep your valuables in a safe or lockbox when you go out.
- Change passcodes on electronic locks and garage doors from time to time.
- Keep your windows covered and your garage locked so valuable items are out of sight.
- Install motion sensor lights, deadbolt locks and upgrade patio/sliding glass door locks.
- Trim shrubs and bushes to eliminate hiding spots, and never hide keys outside.
- Don’t announce your vacation or trips on social media.
- Always change the locks when you move into a new home, condo or apartment, or if your keys are lost or stolen.
- Opportunistic criminals commonly target unlocked cars. Don’t leave anything valuable in your car and always lock the doors.
- If you live in an apartment or condo building, close the door behind you when entering or exiting the building. Report any security concerns, such as dim lighting around entrances or points of easy access, to your property manager.
From alarm systems and security beams to burglar bars and electric fencing, there are a multitude of options to choose from when it comes to securing your home. Investing in automatic security gates is an affordable and effective physical security option to keep your home safe.
Here are five things to consider to ensure you get the most out of your automatic security gates.
Choose quality over cost to ensure lasting results. opt for aluminium inserts and stainless steel bearings that will withstand long-term use and require less maintenance. Also consider what type of paint finish and coating is used. Polyester base powder coats will last longer, are easier to clean and have better UV resistance.
Your choice should not be solely based on price. Make it a positive investment that adds value to your property by buying a guaranteed, quality product and using an accredited installer.
Divide and Conquer
Automatic security gates are versatile and can be used in different areas of your home depending on the security needs. If you are on a budget, consider dividing up the installation by adding retractable security gates to essential areas first.
Protecting your family at night should be your first priority. Therefore, the first place to install a automatic security gate should be in the passage leading to your bedroom. This way you can sleep better knowing that you and your family are separately secured.
The next step would be to secure main entries such as front and back doors, sliding doors and patios.
Automatic security barriers can take up a bit of space when stacked, taking up an average of 20% of the width of the opening space. This needs to be taken into consideration if you plan on moving things in and out of the room regularly.
Choosing a neutral colour for your automatic security gate will help it blend in to your home and ensure it matches your decor even if you change things up.
Security generally works best in groups. As a deterrent, automatic security gates work best if they have a double lock system.
A spring-loaded lock that shuts automatically when the gate is slid closed is ideal for emergency barrier situations. A tradition dead lock system adds security at night or when you are away as the double lock ensures the gate is securely closed and more difficult to pick open
As a final barrier to your home, automatic security gates should work in conjunction with additional security measures such as sensors and an alarm system. Having them inside means burglars have to break through exterior doors, setting off the alarm before getting through the security gate.
Automatic security gates are useful physical barriers that delay burglars, act as a deterrent for break-ins and are effective barriers in emergencies. The bonus is that they are able to provide ventilation and visibility even when closed. It is important to consider quality over price when installing a retractable security gate to ensure they are a long-term investment for you property.